TETRA TAKES OFF AT BILBAO AIRPORT
Bilbao, the capital of Biscay province, is the Basque Country’s largest city. Almost half of the Autonomous Community’s population lives in this city, classified as the fifth largest metropolitan area in Spain and home to a flourishing financial and industrial sector.
Bilbao Airport, whose terminal was designed by Santiago Calatrava, is the largest in the region. The terminal building takes up 32,000 square metres and is made up of two floors. The main hall measures 7,000 square metres, is divided into 2 floors and has enough parking for 3,000 vehicles. In recent years, the airport has handled on average around 4 million passengers, 65,000 flights and 3,000 tonnes of freight annually.
AENA, the largest airport service company in the world in terms of passenger numbers, operating in all Spanish airports, selected the solution proposed by Grupo CYS, using TELTRONIC technology, to implement a global communications solution which included airport services, security, maintenance and logistical support.
CHALLENGE: PERFECT, ROBUST AIRPORT COMMUNICATIONS
Bilbao Airport had the need to replace its increasingly obsolete analogue solution in order to evolve to a secure, high quality system with greater capabilities for all groups operating at the airport. Functions such as the runway operations control centre, plane landing and take-off signalling, airport information service, security personnel, tow vehicles, emergency and medical services, all required communications integration.
The system to be installed had to guarantee permanent availability as well as a rapid reaction time in the case of critical airport operations, such as emergency plans.
- Total coverage both inside and outside all the airport buildings and installations, including runways, walkways, passenger areas, cargo areas, hangars, old terminal, underground areas and parking.
- Full integration with other existing airport systems such as air-band radios and the fixed telephony call centre management.
- Future evolution by making the system as flexible and adaptable as possible. It is therefore also possible, for example, to assign dynamic groups in emergency situations, integrate data for location services (GPS) that help manage the position of vehicles and personnel on the runway, and to offer value-added solutions such as data-base searches.
The implementation of the TELTRONIC’s TETRA communications system has brought to Bilbao Airport:
- SECURITY: high quality voice and data communications and a reduction in the response times in the case of emergencies.
- RELIABILITY: redundancy of all critical elements and a reduction in tasks related to maintenance and repair.
- EFFICIENCY: optimization of the sending of orders related to the coordination and control of runway staff from the control centre and a shorter period of inactivity on the ground providing economic benefits.
- USABILITY: Ease in the identification and correction of problems, increased capacity for data analysis and the possibility of adapting to future extensions.
SYSTEMS & APPLICATIONS
Applications: Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL), Global Positioning System (GPS)
“TELTRONIC’s TETRA radio system plays a crucial role; the excellent service received during installation and maintenance has been a fundamental aspect of the system’s success. Robust communications are vital for the daily running of the airport. This is necessary to guarantee the optimum coordination of flights and passenger safety, especially in moments of crisis”.Source: Chief Information Officer of Bilbao Airport.